Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Twenty Questions Tuesday with Kelly Yeakle!!!

Good morning everyone! Today our guest here at the Dusty Rose is Kelly Yeakle, author of The Legacy Keeper's Treasure.

Let's start our 20 Questions!
1.      Do you have a favorite author or book? What about them appeals to you?  I love Nora Roberts, and she is actually from a town just a half hour from where I live J  I love the way she writes.  I haven’t read any of her books written as J.D. Robb, but anything with her name on it, I like to add to my bookshelf.
2.      Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?  I think the message I was trying to convey with The Legacy Keeper’s Treasure is that you don’t need fame or fortune to have “treasure” in your life.
3.      Favorite literary character? Why them?  I don’t really have a favorite literary character, but I do love to read about a strong heroine.  I like female characters to be able to hold their own, not be dependent on a man.  That doesn’t mean I don’t like a strong, healthy man in novels I read though, hehe J
4.      What book are you reading now?  I’m not currently reading anything, which is shocking.  I just finished Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur which was fantastic!
5.      What genre is your favorite to write?  I write romance, but I like to write paranormal romance best.  I am willing to try new things and have begun a sci-fi short which is coming along nicely.
6.      What do you think makes a good story?   I think a good story is anything that makes you feel like you’re a part of it, that touches your emotions and makes you feel something.
7.      What are your current Works In Progress?   Right now I am on the verge of wrapping up a full length novel which I’ve named Timeless.  It’s a nice little action packed romance about vampires and you meet some other interesting characters, too.  I’m also wrapping up a holiday story called The Sweetest Gift which I am hoping to be released during the holiday season in 2011.  And I’m toying around with that sci-fi short, we’ll see where that one takes me J
8.      What is the hardest part of writing?  The hardest part of my writing is showing, not telling.  Sometimes when I get wrapped up in the story, I don’t realize I’m just telling the reader everything without showing them and pulling them in.  Editing is still a challenge for me, but I’m getting better with that one.
9.      What’s one guilty pleasure you enjoy?  Guilty Pleasures, hmmm definitely wine and chocolate.
10.  What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?  I like to put a little piece of me in each of my female leads.  It may be something small, like something I say all the time, or something larger like how I bite my lip when I’m nervous.  It’s fun to stick a little tidbit about myself secretly in my stories!
11.  If you could live in a book’s fictional universe for a day, which book would you choose? Wow, there are just too many to choose from, but being the big geek that I am I would want to live one day on Esme’s Isle from Breaking Dawn.
12.  What do you like to do when you're not writing?   If I’m not writing, you’ll probably find me spending time with the kiddos doing anything from crafts to crazy karaoke.  Check my oldest and I out on http://www.karaokeplay.com/ where we did a duet of Justin Bieber’s Baby.  We got like 5 stars I think haha.  I even rap….it was a lot of fun to be silly.
13.  Tell us about your current book.  Right now I have one published mini-novel, The Legacy Keeper’s Treasure which is available through Decadent Publishing.  It’s about a twenty eight year old divorcee, who is tired of being deceived by the men in her life.  She travels to Ireland in search of real treasure and gets swept up in a love affair with the man who works at the castle she’s stationed at.  Of course it can’t all be peaches and cherries!  However, I don’t want to give too much away.  Just know that haunted dreams and an old Irish legend bring some turmoil to the story!
14.  How did you come up with the title?  That’s a good question, and honestly it was easy to come up with the title.  I just pulled from the story and thought of the best thing that could describe it and so TLKT was born.
15.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?  Writing a book is a lot harder than it looks.  It’s not just getting your story down on paper.  It’s writing and rewriting, cutting and adding, changing dialogue and creating characters that people can relate to.
16.  Where and when do you write?  I try to write at least an hour every single day.  My typical writing schedule is Wednesday through Sunday from 8pm-11:30pm while the kids are tucked away in bed and the hubby is working.  On Mondays and Tuesdays, I try to find time in the morning before work to write.
17.  Have you ever suffered from writer's block and if so, how do you overcome it?  I do have times where I step away from a story I’m working on and when I come back I just stare at the screen and nothing will come to me.  What I do is walk away from it for a few days, try to get something else going so I’m not just simply not writing, and then come back to it when my mind is clear.
18.  If you could have written one book in history, what book would that be?  Anything by Shakespeare
19.  Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? If so, what are they?   Write because you love it, not because you’re determined to be successful at it.  Be prepared to face rejection, not everyone will feel the same way about your stories that you do.  Be ready to work with your editor, they probably know a lot more than you do (until you’re a well seasoned author J).
20.  Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?   Welcome to my world J

Blurb: When Alexa took a job in Ireland searching for the lost O'Shea treasure, she had no idea what she signing up for. Between vivid dreams, ghosts, and the old Irish legend that surrounds the castle, she is overwhelmed.

When she finds out the man she's been working so closely with is actually the heir to the O'Shea fortune, she is upset that once again a man has surrounded her with lies. Their relationship is further tested when a friend from the United States comes for a visit and Liam believes she's been telling her own tales.

Will their love prevail? Will Alexa find the missing treasure and discover her heart's desire?


(Thanks for joining us here today, Kelly!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment