Monday, October 4, 2010

Twenty Questions with Clarissa Yip!

Welcome to The Dusty Rose! Our guest author is Clarissa Yip and I'll be asking her....twenty questions! I'm posting this a bit early, so I didn't want to write in "Twenty Questions Tuesday" since it's still Monday night. So...it's Twenty Questions Tonday (Monday/Tuesday). Woo Hoo! Here we go:
  1. Do you have a favorite author or book? What about them appeals to you?
Hmmm….That’s a hard question. I’m a big JR. Ward fan, but I don’t write paranormal. My fave is Zsadist from Lover Awakened. I have a thing for tortured heroes. (shhhh…don’t tell anyone!)
  1. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
My books are pretty laidback and easy going. I’m a love junkie. I like the whole falling in love idea, but it has to be believable to me. Even Love at First Sight has it’s appeal, but I haven’t experienced that…yet.
  1. Favorite literary character? Why them?
Literary makes me think of school. I’m anti-school right now. LOL. But if I were to pick I’d have to say Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Dark, mysterious and totally disturbed.
  1. What book are you reading now?
LOL. I’m not going to lie. I haven’t had the time to read. In between editing, writing, and keeping my head above the water. But I could use a good book. Any recommendations?
 (Leslie: Well, since you asked, I hear Blood Moon by Ellen Keener is really good!)
  1. What genre is your favorite to write?
*blink * Is that a trick question? LOL. Contemporary Romance. I love writing about romance and seeing character relationships grow and change.
  1. What do you think makes a good story?
That’s a toughie. I think everything is important: plot, character development, relationships, themes, pacing, etc…the list could go on and on.
  1. What are your current Works In Progress?
Well, the only thing I have going on is a Christmas Anthology I have collaborated with my awesome crit partners. We’re hoping to ‘wow’ Decadent Publishing. They’re short stories with different characters from contemporary to paranormal, but it all takes place in the same town.
  1. What is the hardest part of writing?
Getting the words on paper. Without them, there’s nothing to work with.
  1. What’s one guilty pleasure you enjoy?
Umm….how many can I list? I tend to overindulge and spoil myself. Cupcakes! I have a bad sweet tooth.
  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Writing quirk? I have issues with editing as I write. It’s a bad habit. I don’t recommend it, otherwise you’d never get any story done.
  1. If you could live in a book’s fictional universe for a day, which book would you choose?
Hmmm…these questions are hard. I’m going to have to say fairy tales, where everything is perfect. I’d go hang out in Little Mermaid, if I only knew how to swim.
  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Editing, editing, editing, eating cupcakes, coffee, more editing. No that’s a lie, except for the cupcakes part. I enjoy hanging out at the beach and just relaxing. It’s hard to find time.
  1. Tell us about your current book.
My current release that came out September 30 is a high school reunion story, about Cara Standford who’s been traumatized in her high school years by Brant Thomas, the popular guy back then. Ten years later, she goes to the reunion to seek revenge, only to have the tables turned on her when things don’t go her way. Oh, memories…* sigh *
  1. How did you come up with the title?
Since it’s a reunion story, I knew I had to stick close to that idea. And ‘Unforeseen’ just seemed to fit.
  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?
The hard work doesn’t really start until AFTER you write ‘the end.’
  1. Where and when do you write?
Usually, at home, but I have hidden out at the beach or quiet corners anywhere I can find. I travel a lot, so you’d never know where I would be.
  1. Have you ever suffered from writer's block and if so, how do you overcome it?
LOL. Writer’s block? I think that’s everyone. My muse likes to run off to the beach without me and go on random vacations without permission. I don’t really have any specific way of dealing with it. I remember there was one point I went from having a Friends marathon to playing Wii for hours to see if it’d spark anything.  Guess it depends.
  1. If you could have written one book in history, what book would that be?
I love Pride and Prejudice. I know there are so many versions of it, but it’s so hard not to love that book and the characters and the plot.
  1. Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? If so, what are they?
Well, I’m going to say never give up. Have faith and keep up the perseverance, motivation. Just be inspired and write! I don’t like giving up. I think if a person works hard at it, then things will happen. I’m a go-getter. No excuses for anything.
  1. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
For all those hanging out here, just to have fun and live a little!
Thanks so much for having me!
 (Leslie: Thanks for joining us here today, Clarissa! And to our readers out there, check out Clarissa's latest novel, Unforseen Reunion!)


Home for a high school reunion, Fashion Editor-in-Chief, Cara Stanford has ulterior motives: make childhood crush and womanizing playboy, Brant Thomas, pay for the hell she endured ten years ago.

Except he doesn't remember her. 

Though publically embarrassed by Cara at the reunion, Brant is intrigued by the beauty, who rejects his every pick-up line and charm. Never allowing a woman through his carefully erected barriers, she stirs up his past with her return, along with an undeniable passion. He sets out to seduce her until a series of accidental mishaps forces him to question Cara’s intentions.

Taken aback by her enemy’s suave attention, will Cara continue with her planned revenge or risk reopening her heart to Brant?

Excerpt:

“I remember you.” He gave her a thoughtful look as if contemplating her words.
She grunted. After all she’d been through, he’d better remember.  
“Did we date back then?” he asked.
Her eyes narrowed, and she shook her head. He'd barely noticed her when she wasn't doing his homework or chasing after him at the football games—dating her hadn’t even been on his radar. The nerve! “You're unbelievable.”
“Thank you. Was it sophomore year?”
Her fingers clenched around the stem of the wine glass, quelling the temptation to douse him with her drink. He really didn't remember her. The horrible memories of how he’d used her for his schoolwork, laughing at her with Sheila, and acting like she didn’t exist erupted in her mind, reminding her of what a lovesick fool she’d been. Anxiety and rage boiled in her chest. She couldn't do this. She had to get away. Hopping off the chair, she stood straight. “Nice talking to you.”
Brant's hand shot out and latched onto her elbow. “Wait. What's your name?”
Cara saw red. Picking up the white wine, she did the unimaginable. Brant sat, open-mouthed, blinking his eyes as the chardonnay ran down his face and seeped into his black, tuxedo jacket and white shirt.
“Maybe that'll jog your memory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment