Sunday, July 15, 2012

Wine and The Woods

Wine and The Woods
By Leslie D. Soule


  These two things seem incongruous at first - a glass of wine, and a forest setting. Yet these images are often invoked side-by-side. Pinot Noir has a flavor that is supposed to be reminiscent of the forest, for example. Well, yesterday while shopping at Big Lots (my new favorite store since I acquired my house) I looked through the wine aisle. I'd perused a Wine for Dummies book a while back and remembered what it had to say about choosing wine - that price has very little to do with quality, and to choose simply by taste.

  Since my Fallenwood books take place in a forest setting much of the time, when I saw the bottle of Forestville 2011 Malbec for only four dollars, I knew I had to have it.


  Peter Mayle wrote an excellent book titled A Good Year, which was then made into a movie starring Russell Crowe and which is, to date, my favorite chick flick. Well in the book, a wine class takes place, and the students compare the wine to "...everything, in essence, except grapes." So I shall try this exercise, and say that the wine has a bold, fruit flavor with notes of cinnamon and tastes like it would pair well with brie. It also tastes like something I'd be pleased to drink as I sit around a campfire, telling stories to a band of elves.

(Here we see Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, about to get his drink on...)

  Make of that what you will. This wine gets my stamp of approval. 



No comments:

Post a Comment