Monday, March 2, 2015

Another Inconvenient Truth...

So Al Gore has his documentary about global warming, titled An Inconvenient Truth. Whether or not you believe in global warming, the film is important because it attempts to drive home the fact that this world is the only one we've got, and that we should all cherish/support/take care of it.

But I'm here today to tell you something you might not want to hear. I've got another Inconvenient Truth for ya - and this is for all the aspiring authors out there. And there are a lot of you. I know. The market is saturated with talent, and writers seem to be a dime a dozen these days.

When I was little, all I wanted was to be published. If I got published, I'd know I "made it" and I'd instantly be famous and have a million dollars. Sadly, it seems that this mindset wasn't mine alone. That being said, if you have a dream, go for it, with everything you have. Get published.

But here's where the inconvenient truth comes in - getting published is only the first mountain you'll have to climb on your journey. Rather than being the end of a journey, you're still at the beginning. The next hurdle to challenge, is getting anyone to notice that you've been published - getting reviews scheduled and promotional opportunities set up, and blogging, and making videos, and going to events, and doing public speaking, and talking about the art to anyone who will listen.

These days, getting an agent is nigh-impossible. So here's the inconvenient truth - you want to be a writer, not a salesperson. But you have to be both. No one is going to do it for you. And getting published, is just half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment