Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Pros and Cons of Juggling Two Jobs

So tomorrow, the blog tour begins, and I probably won't have time for actual blogging, because keeping up with questions on the blog tour and such is like another job altogether, albeit one I highly enjoy.

I work two jobs, currently. One is my main job, working for the state. It's my bread and butter. The other is working retail. Since acquiring job #2, I've had many people ask me why I would want to be doing what I'm doing.

Well, the short answer is money. Having only one job meant that I was barely scraping by. Having two means that I actually have the means to try and get ahead (pay off credit cards, student loans, etc.) Like many other Millenials, debt has kept me from acquiring the steam I need to get things rolling in life. And it's been nigh-impossible to move up in state service, even with my M.A. and seven years of state experience. I can only imagine what those without such experience are facing right now.

Of course, the lack of upward mobility doesn't mean things are any less stressful. If anything, the opposite is true. So I found myself barely scraping by, stressed out, depressed, and unsure what to do with myself. I had too much time on the weekends to sit around and be sad about how things played out with my emotionally abusive ex-boyfriend. What I needed was an escape - to be in a different environment for a while. But I didn't have the money to go anywhere. So I decided to go for job #2 because it was an idea. It was something that actually worked out for me, after so many other ideas and attempts of mine had failed. And it worked. I met a bunch of really nice people. I got extra money to pay for bills and debts. And I didn't have time to be depressed.

Thus, do I work a lot? Yes. Do I regret it? No.

Having job #2 also means that neither job gets to adopt that "I control your life" dictator mentality that places and people can sometimes fall into. They can never be quite sure of themselves, and that, my friends, is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment